I live in Jeremy Ranch and the Jeremy and Pinebrook roundabouts are often the bane of my existence. When we did Park City Follies, we had a whole video about the roundabouts with lots of a four-letter word mixed in.
With that in mind, I came upon the most comprehensive discussion of roundabouts that I have ever read. It was amazing. I learned such facts as:
- The Jeremy and Pinebrook “roundabouts” are actually called rotaries, due to their size.
- One-quarter of the 35,000 traffic death per year in the US happen at intersections.
- 0.1 percent of all crashes at roundabouts end in death. 04 percent of crashes at intersections lead to death.
- Elon Musk says Tesla’s can’t self drive roundabouts yet.
- It costs at least a couple of million dollars per intersection to convert it to a single lane, small, roundabout.
If you have the time, and care about roundabouts, this Freakonomics article is worth the time. In some ways they make a lot of sense.